Stuff to read

Friday, August 6, 2010

Soft Solids Easy Recipe: 5 minute Portabello

This is for when you have absolutely no desire to cook--but you gotta get that protein in! And it's preferable that it taste good.

5 minute Portabello Mushroom Melt

1 medium portabello mushroom cap, stem removed, upended
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (remove stems)
2-3 slices buffalo mozzarella (the kind that looks like a round ball; the best kind is packed in liquid. If you can't find that, get the one that's in the round ball)

Turn the mushroom cap upside down
Microwave for 4 minutes if you have the lowest-power/wattage microwave like me; 2 minutes if you've got a powerful microwave. The mushroom should be moist and tender.

Chop a reasonable amount of fresh basil (fresh is crucial for flavor) and completely fill in the mushroom cap.

Top with thick slices of buffalo mozzarella; be generous. Even if it's not lowfat, it's only 70 calories per slice.  If you can find lowfat, be even more generous. When I made this, I used 3 thin/medium slices of full fat cheese. (I was low on calories). The mushroom only has 20 calories.

Mircowave until the cheese starts to melt down the side. About 1 minute.

[For more protein, and if you have the extra time, sautee a bit of shallot, garlic, and ground meat to add to the basil filling.]


Eat!

Approximate stats:
150-170 calories, depending on amount of cheese
6 carbs
9 protein
3 fat

6 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you. I am having the bypass surgery, but your list on things to get before surgery is going to me so extreamly helpful. I find your blog great and I can't wait to try some of your idea's and recipes. again thank you so much. Kimme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kimme--good luck with your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and i have to say i love it. I've been trying different things to try and eat as i can't do protein shakes as they all make me throw up. I have to eat soft solids constantly. I really appreciate all the wonderful recipe's i see here. Some i can't have yet but look forward to them keep them coming. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work you have done.Today, surgery can achieve what years of exercise can't.
    GASTRIC SLEEVE MEXICO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice info is given here.If you are satisfied with the size of your breasts but wish to restore a more youthful contour, you may be a candidate for a breast lift.
    BREAST LIFT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sharable thing !! Also Revision Surgery performed to replace or compensate for a failed implant or to correct undesirable sequelae.
    REVISION SURGERY

    ReplyDelete